Cathy makes a fool of herself over the next year...


...This is justified by the fact that it is all for a very good cause!

I am raising as much money as humanly possible for Practical Action - a development charity who aim to change lives with simple solutions. Their motto is 'Technolgy changing poverty'. I will be posting plenty of information about the work that they do and latest news throughout my fundraising venture. This is their website.

This blog is the first stop for you to laugh at my fundraising attempts, the majority of which will be unashamedly ridiculous in nature! There will be plenty of updates on what's going on, photos just for your amusement and I will keep you in the know about all the events which will be organised over the coming year. For anyone who knows me, there should be NO DOUBT that these will be well worth attending - I have MANY ideas and am beginning to organise various unusual and/ or crazy events to suit everyone. A good time is pretty much GUARANTEED!


If you think I'm crazy normally, you ain't seen nothin' yet!! Even I am not entirely sure of the lengths to which I will have to go to raise this money, so let's get this thing started and find out!!

Tuesday 5 July 2011

The fundraising begins - challenge accepted!!

So I have convinced myself that it would be a good idea to sign up for a three week sponsored trek to Everest Base Camp next summer. This is in aid of Practical Action, a development charity who work with communities worldwide - a very good cause!

The fundraising target is £2,100, but I would like to raise much more than this if possible and will do my best to make sure that it is! The start date of the trek is about a year away, so I figured that this would be the best time to seriously begin the epic challenge of raising as much money as I can!

This blog is an opportunity for you all to laugh at my fundraising attempts: the embarrassing fancy dress antics; the unmissable challenges; the ridiculous things that I am willing to do to reach the fundraising target. Hopefully this will also encourage a few extra pounds out of you guys for the huge amount of effort that will be going into this!

There will be plenty of photos and updates on what's going on, so at the very least this will be a source of entertainment and I will also post information about upcoming events for those of you in Newcastle, where most of these events will take place. There are no definite plans yet, but I can promise that there will be a wide variety of fun/ unusual and crazy events to suit everyone and a good time for a very small donation!

This blog will be the first place to hear what's going on and where!

I'll post a little initial information about Practical Action, as it's important to know where the valuable donations are going and how this money will be used.

The charities aim is straight forward: changing lives with simple solutions to poverty. Examples of their projects include solar photovoltaic water pumps, compost toilets, spurs and dykes for flood prevention and smoke hoods or flues on stoves to prevent indoor air pollution, which kills more than 1.5 million people a year, primarily children under five.

What's great is that only 1% of the money donated is spent on administration, unlike many charities, meaning that almost all of the money goes directly to the people who they are helping.

I'm not going to write more than this right now, as this in itself isn't about selling the charity and there is way too much to say in such a short space! I will however post updates on the charity and their latest projects along the process of fundraising and will also be giving more than enough information to anyone who asks - and probably those who don't! In fact, I doubt you'll be able to get me to shut up about it once I start the fundraising!

For anyone wants to find out more now, here is the website - http://www.practicalaction.org.

It's definitely worth a look, as there is plenty of information on the latest projects and previous achievments.

Thanks for reading guys - and PLEASE subscribe, I'm sure you won't regret it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment